Minister of Rural Development
H.E Mr. Chea Sophara was born on March 20th, 1953 in Rokar Knol Village, Rokar Knol Commune, Kroch Chhmar District, Kompong Cham Province, Cambodia.
In 1974, he was admitted into the University of Medicine, Pharmacy in Phnom Penh after obtaining a diploma from the 18 Minea High School.
In Pol Pot genocidal regime, His Excellency and Madam were forced to evacuate the capital to live in Ksach Kandal District, Kandal Province.
After the liberation on January 7th, 1979, he was involved in many political training courses; primarily, the first promotion of Political School in Phnom Penh Municipality, the second promotion of the Technical and Political Science in Law and Administration School, the forth promotion in Nguyen Ai Quoc school in Ho Chi Minh City, the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
On June 26th, 1979, His Excellency Mr. Chea Sophara was appointed to various administrative and political positions namely:
- The Deputy Chief of the 4th Region, Phnom Penh (1979-1981)The Deputy Chief of the 4th Commune, Phnom Penh (1981-1985)
- The Governor of Tuol Kok District (1985-1988)
- The Deputy Governor of the Phnom Penh Municipality (1988-1995)
- The First Deputy Governor of the Phnom Penh Municipality (1995-1999)
- The Delegate of the Royal Government of Cambodia in charge of the First Deputy Governor of Phnom Penh (1999)
- The Delegate of the Royal Government of Cambodia in charge of the Governor of Phnom Penh (1999-2003)
- Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador of the Royal Government of Cambodia to the Union of Myanmar (2003)
- Senior Advisor to Samdech Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia (2003-2004)
- Secretary of State to the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction (2004-2008)
In 2004, H.E. Mr. Chea Sophara was promoted to the government official first class in the superior administration and honored with Moha Sereiwath Medal in the Royal Government of Cambodia in 2007.
In 1984, His Excellency Mr. Chea Sophara became a member of the Cambodian People Party (CPP) and was elected to the CPP Central Committee in the CPP Extraordinary General Congress on January 21st-27th, 1997. From 1984-2003, he had fulfilled many political duties for the party in Phnom Penh capital city. In 2004, the party Permanent Steering Committee assigned him to the position of the First Deputy Chairperson of the CPP Central Committee support team in Kampong Cham province and was respectively given other duties as CPP support team leader for Kroch Chhmar district (2004), Memot district (2006), Tbong Khmom district (2006) and Soung city (2009)
In 2008, His Excellency Mr. Chea Sophara was elected Member of Parliament in Kampong Cham constituency, and Samdech Akak Moha Sena Padei Decho Prime Minister Hun Sen decided to pick him into the Cabinet of the 4th term of the National Assembly as the Minister of Rural Development. The Permanent Central Steering Committee has transferred him from the CPP Committee in the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction to be chair CPP Committee of the Ministry of Rural Development. In 2013, His Excelency Chea Sophara was reelected to the same constituency and was renominated Minister of Rural Development for the 5th term of National Assembly.
Please click on the link: http://www.mrd-cpp.org/ to follow H.E. Mr. Chea Sophara’s political devotion activities.
H.E. Mr. Chea Sophara plays Petanque and golf.
He is married to Mrs. Tan Maly and they have four children.